12/31/2013

2013

Girls and guys, 
ladies and gentlemen,

The year is just about to end, so a new one can begin. But before it does, let us stop for a moment. Instead of making resolutions for the coming year, I usually prefer to ask (myself and others) about the one that is to close. Interestingly (but perhaps not surprisingly), people tend to feel uncomfortable about reckoning. Funnily, however, if you take the lead and share, they do join and find the words. And very often we realize how much our experiences are connected -- and we are, contrary to our fear, not lost and alone.

Like with hard conversations. We all have issues that need to be shared but we fear them. We all like to postpone the discussion, so we can ignore the consequences. We all tend to imagine how the other would react, and often times it is dreadful, which justifies our passivity. But while we are waiting, the frustration is eating us up. 

For me 2013 was about these hard conversations. I got fed up with what I thought was acceptance but in reality was just silence, and I decided to take the risk of being active, thus fallible and vulnerable. 

I confronted my employers and I became independent. I confronted my family and I found support. 
I confronted myself and the world stood by me.

Hard conversations are the hardest while within the closet of our heads. Let us come out.



Best wishes, of courage and trust, for 2014,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment