10/28/2013

dear john

When I teach writing, may that be academic or business, I like to demonstrate the importance of something students like to hate and neglect: punctuation. After this task they usually take it more seriously. (Of course, to know how to use punctuation is another story, but learning always starts with getting interested to make efforts.) So, let's give it a go, shall we? Please read the following excerpt, lacking punctuation, and indicate the appropriate punctuation marks.

dear john i want a man who knows what love is all about you are generous kind thoughtful people who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior you have ruined me for other men i yearn for you i have no feelings whatsoever when we are apart i can be forever happy will you let me be yours marsha

Are you done? Was it easy, was it difficult? Usually, depending on the level of the competence, it takes more or less time for the students but everyone manages. It is just occasional that someone stops, looks up at me suspiciously, and cries out that I fooled them. Because it is ambiguous. It has two solutions. The love letter you most probably made this text into (misled by the color of the post) is just one of the solutions. See? Depending on how you use punctuation, you may end up in a break-up with someone you (would have) wished to marry.

Dear John, I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we are apart. I can be forever happy. Will you let me be yours? Marsha



Dear John, I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men I yearn. For you I have no feelings whatsoever. When we are apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be? Yours, Marsha

Love it or hate it, admit to being impressed! :-)

2 comments:

  1. It is indeed impressing! Thank you so much for sharing all these real great material! It is always worth checking your blog, your posts are really informative and at the same time nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Do drop by every once in a while. :-)
      Btw, you mentioned you know of an anecdote similar to this, just in Hungarian. Would you share?

      Delete